36th District Legislators
About Us
Advertise With Us
Bergen County Animal Shelter
Business Directory
Wood-Ridge Churches
Wood-Ridge Civic Center
Classified Ads
Community Web Sites
Computer Repair
Contact Us
Events
Family, Home, and Community Info
Games
General Disclaimer
Grant Info
Health and Nutrition Info
Help
History, Arts, and Culture Info
Jobs, Education, and Volunteerism
Memories of Wood-Ridge
Municipalities On-line
News
New Jersey Newspapers
New Jersey Statutes
Parenting Resources
PC Repair
Polls
Wood-Ridge PTA
Wood-Ridge Recreation
Wood-Ridge Schools
Wood-Ridge Senior Center
Senior Citizen Information
Site Map
Survey
Travel, Transportation, and Recreation
Wesmont Station
Wood-Ridge Fire Department
Wood-Ridge Police Department

Fire Safety Tips

Electrical Safety

Home Dangers

Every year nearly 4,000 Americans die in home fires and more than 25,000 are injured. Electrical fires are one of the leading types of home fires, especially in manufactured homes. By following some simple rules on electrical safety you can reduce the likelihood of an electrical fire in your home.

Prevent Electrical Problems


GFCI receptacles (right) can be identified
by the "Test" and "Reset" buttons

Studies of electrical fires in homes show that many problems are associated with improper installation of electrical devices by do-it-yourselfers. Common errors that can lead to fires include the use of improperly rated devices such as switches or receptacles and loose connections at these devices. Both can lead to overheating and arcing that can start fires. Fires are still caused by people using the wrong size fuse or even putting a penny behind a fuse when they don't have a spare. These practices are very dangerous. The fuse is a safety device designed to limit the electricity carried by the circuit to a safe level. Electricity and water are a bad combination. All electrical devices installed outdoors should be specially designed for outdoor use. Outdoor receptacles as well as those in kitchens, bathrooms, and anywhere else near water should be the ground fault circuit interrupting type (GFCI).

Use Electrical Devices Safely

Light bulbs, especially the newer halogen types, get very hot and can ignite combustible materials that get too close. Clothing or towels should never be placed atop a lampshade and table lamps should not be used without a shade where they might fall over onto a bed or sofa. Most light fixtures are labeled to show the brightest bulb that can be safely used in that fixture; too high a wattage bulb can cause the fixture to overheat and start a fire. Extension cords are a common cause of electrical fires. You must be careful to use only extension cords that are rated for the power used by the device they are powering. Extension cords should never be used as a long term solution to the need for another receptacle. Extension cords must never be run inside walls or under rugs or furniture. Extension cords can get warm in use and must be able to dissipate this heat or they can start a fire.

Maintain Electrical Safely

The insulation on electrical cords can become damaged by wear, flexing, or age. Do not use any cord that is stiff or cracked. Some clues that you may have an electrical problem are : 1. Flickering lights. If the lights dim every time you turn on an appliance that circuit is overloaded or has a loose connection. 2. Sparks. If sparks appear when you insert or remove a plug, they could be a sign of loose connections. 3. Warm electrical cord. If an electrical cord is warm to the touch, the cord is underrated or defective. 4. Frequent blown fuses or broken circuits. A fuse or circuit breaker that keeps tripping is an important warning sign of problems. 5. Frequent bulb burnout. A light bulb that burns out frequently is a sign that the bulb is too high a wattage for the fixture.

| Back |

 

   
Home Site Map Help